Wednesday 27 August 2008

Curry Top

I had a small curry-based accident with a plain brown top I owned (see previous post!) and it ended up with some grease spots on it that just wouldn't come out. So, inspired by some other posts on Wardrobe Refashion (most notably the ones using the Alabama Stitch Book pattern) I decided to try out some reverse applique...



Here is the top with my design (plus visible grease stains...) with the new fabric inside being basted on.



Dscn2602_2



Then I got busy with the scissors - a bit too busy in some places where I accidentally cut bits I didn't mean to. I had trouble folding the fabric under though, so instead I folded it outwards and sewed the edges roughly to give it a sort of leafy look. I know it doesn't look it but the thread is the same colour as the top... Also, the fabric underneath is shiny so it looks brighter than it actually is. It's really a darkish maroon.



Dscn2608



And here it is, modelled in Staff House Bar (recognise the quality 'art'?), rescued from certain doom. I hope I don't spill anything else down it, there's only so many holes I can cut...



Currytop



2 comments:

Biluś said...

I can say that I've seen the real thing - and it does look terrific! My only worry is that there's a temptation to spill that curry on purpose...

Fearful Penguin said...

wow, that looks great, what a fab idea!! I'll have to give it a try...