Monday 6 September 2010

Yet another new hobby

It was only a matter of time before my fibre fetish led me to the world of spinning. I had a very brief go a while back at a Guild open day at the Yorkshire Museum of Farming, but I'd failed to get myself organised enough to actually get myself some kit together.

Cue a visit from one of my Newfoundland knitting friends. We took a trip out to the lovely village of Wentworth near Rotherham, to visit the amazing Wingham Wool Work. I'm slightly ashamed to say I was like a small child in a sweet shop, surrounded by hundreds of colours of fleece and a lucky dip bag to stuff full. You would have been proud though, I was very restrained and only came home with a drop spindle, 400g of fleece, and some small carders for the very reasonable price of £25. The owner also gave me a quick demo and I came home with a bit of practice fleece too.

So, without further ado, here are my goodies.



Merino fleece. Yum.


And here is my first proper attempt at spinning with the freebie stuff I got.


My drop spindle and fleece



Close up of my wobbly yarn.


To be fair, I'm pretty pleased with my efforts. I'm yet to ply it, and then Bod knows what I'll make out of it, but that's hardly the point, is it?

1 comment:

TheKnittingBee said...

Oh wow you got to visit WWW! I've bought online from them a lot and been to their stall at Woolfest, but never been to the hallowed shop :)

Excellent to see that you've joined the ranks of spinners - and your 'wobbly' yarn actually looks very smoothly spun!