Tuesday 21 September 2010

Lashings and lashings of ginger beer

I recently ventured once more into the home production of alcoholic beverages. This time it was ginger beer. I looked around and there are lots of recipes, so I adapted a few. I sampled my first bottle this weekend and it was rather delicious!


Highly explosive, but delicious ginger beer and the jar of sediment


To start off the plant:

In a jar, mix together

4g active dried yeast (or 14g/0.5oz fresh)
3/4 pint of water
2tsp ginger 2tsp sugar Leave for 24 hours, then feed the plant with 1tsp root ginger and 1tsp sugar daily.
After a week, mix thoroughly and strain into a jug.


To make one bottle (approx 2 1/2 pints):


Dissolve 170g sugar into half a pint of hot water.

Add the juice of half a lemon and a quarter of the strained mixture.

Add 1.25 pints of lukewarm water and stir well.

Decant into a bottle and mature for another week. The bottle may need burping as a lot of gas will build up.



(This next part is speculative as I've not bottled up my second batch yet)
Put the remainder of the strained liquid back into the jar and top up with warm water to replace what you've taken out, and start feeding
again with 1tsp sugar daily. The ginger may not need topping up.

A week later repeat the bottling process.

*

I've already got my next drink experiment planned. I've just been out harvesting elderberries!


Your mother was a hamster...


2 comments:

madliam said...

Hooray for sediment! (And lashings of ginger beer!)

Mr Cushtie said...

How strong is it? Has it exploded yet? (I'm tempted to fill my flat with brewing equipment - possibly in defiance of the terms of my lease...)