Wednesday 1 October 2008

The Bikeability Neckwarmer

Ok, as promised, evidence of me actually knitting...

I've been cycling a lot recently and, as the winter months draw in, I've noticed a chill on the chest and a bit of wheeziness when it's cold out. So, to prevent premature lung-aging, stop me whinging, and generally for better wellbeing all round I decided a scarf was the thing. The problem is that I am so uncoordinated that normal scarves tend to flap about and get stuck in my wheels. Well, it hasn't happened yet, but knowing me...

Anyhoo, I've got an embarrassingly large yarn stash - I cannot throw *anything* away - so decided to use up some of it by making scrap yarn.

It’s the simplest thing in the world…



  • To create the yarn… tie together shortish lengths of scrap thread and pair two colours together to make it chunkier. It makes it more interesting when the colours overlap to get different colour combos. I used 4 colours which were paired differently every time and had different lengths.
  • Cast on 22 stitches (though depends on chunkiness of wool/gauge)
  • Garter stitch for about 62 rows or until it reaches approx. 52cm long then cast off. Try to knit in the ends as much as possible as you are going.
  • Weave in the leftover ends using a crochet hook then snip to neaten off.
  • The final scarf should measure about 16cm x 52cm.
  • Add a toggle to secure it, et voila!

And here is photographic evidence:




And one of me sporting it. Please remind me to brush my hair next time I take a photo of myself to spread across the Internet... ;o)




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant!
I'm trying to knit a tea cosy in 2 colours but it requires more concentration than I usually have..!